2071 Followers
markarayner

Dilettante

A cursory and curious listing of books and literatrivia.

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life - Steve Martin At the outset, Martin sets the tone of this by calling it a biography, not an autobiography: "...I'm writing about someone I used to know."I suppose this is true of all autobiography, but this book is really more of a memoir. It's a well-focused examination of Martin's development into a comedian, and then his career doing stand up comedy. He briefly discusses his first movie, but mostly because he was filming The Jerk as he was fulfilling the last of his contractual obligations to do his last comedy concerts.He sprinkles bits from his routines -- some quite famous and some delightfully obscure -- throughout his examination of this part of his life. Naturally, he includes his childhood, as this had such a formative experience.If nothing else, you take away a real admiration for his persistence and hard work, if not his insights into what is funny. I listened to this book, rather than reading, as I figured I'd have his voice in my head anyway, so I might as well go juggling banana flame.